DOT(WA) holds meetings and local PD info sessions every second month from 6:30pm until about 8:30pm. We are currently using Zoom for all meetings as our regular meeting ‘venue’ as there are room capacity limits at our usual venue, Edith Cowan University Mt Lawley. We are aiming for meetings in the first week on the month and will generally be on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, but the week and day chosen may vary due to presenter availability. Zoom videoconferencing facilities will remain available, even once we return to face to face meetings.
The professional development will start at 6:30 and will be followed directly by the meeting at about 7:30/8. Please remember to bring along a ‘Good, Bad or Ugly resource’ that you have found to share during the meeting.
To dial in through Zoom, please follow the following steps.
1. Prior to the meeting, download Zoom onto your phone, tablet or computer. The free Zoom
app is available from the App Store or Google play, or you can find it here: https://zoom.us/download.
2. 5 minutes before the meeting, click the link provided (see below or in the newsletter).
3. Check your video audio by clicking ‘Settings’ at the bottom left of the screen. Enable audio and video, but ensure your microphone is on mute.
4. If you wish to ask a question, make a comment etc during the meeting, don’t forget to unmute yourself.
5. To finish the meeting or disconnect, click ‘Leave meeting’ at the bottom right corner of the screen.
Zoom Considerations to ensure the meeting runs as smoothly as possible.
1. Ensure your microphone is on mute, if you have a question, unmute yourself.
2. Look at your video image and ensure it is clear and not distracting. Avoid lights behind you as these cause a lot of glare, and if there are going to be lots of movement behind you (children, people walking around, traffic etc), please turn your video off. Equally if you are eating, moving around etc, please turn your video off.
3. If you have connection issues, consider how many devices are using the internet connection and if some can be disconnected/not used. Alternatively consider using your mobile data. Turning your video off and closing unused tabs or apps can help with poor connection.
4. Try to stay focused and avoid multitasking- pretend you are in the same room as the presenter.
5. There is a significant lag between when you speak and when the person hears you. If you wish to ask a question, get the presenters attention by saying ‘I have a question’ and wait until they acknowledge, you can also raise your hand to get visual attention too. When you are done, acknowledge that you are finished by saying ‘Thank you’, ‘I’m done’ etc.
6. Try to have only one person talking at one time, and speak clearly and slowly.
Upcoming monthly PD includes
December DOT(WA) PD & Meeting (online-only)
Date: Monday, 7th December 2020
Time: 6.30 – 8.30pm
Topic: OT Role in Self-Regulation and Behaviour Support
Presenter: Calm and Connected’s OTs
Dial in details
Meeting ID: 859 1637 6960
If you have difficulty joining the meeting on the day and require support from the DOT(WA) Executive Committee, message/call Jacqui Hunt on 0407 834 097.